Triple's Kawasaki Wave Runner Rebuild April 18, 2013, 10:19:32 pm Alright so most of you know that I just recently picked up a Wave Runner on Craigslist. It's a 1996 Kawasaki 750 Xi Super Sport. I picked it up for $500, and even came with a trailer. These were the pictures on the Craigslist ad. From the sellers description, it had lost compression in one cylinder after the engine overheated while he was out on the lake. He tested both cylinders when he got the ski back to his house, finding out that one of the cylinders couldn't hold any more than 30 psi. I was thinking either the rings melted and chewed up the piston crown and head, or the head warped and blew the head gasket. So, we went and picked it up, and I started wrenching right away. First of all, you can see which cylinder overheated just by looking at the head....First thing I did (before I disassembled the cylinder head bolts) was test the compression myself to see what I was working with. Cylinder #1 has 154 psi, Cylinder #2 has 22 psi. So I popped the head off to take a look at what's inside.....This is the cylinder that has only 22 psi of compression....As you can see, it's got some scoring. I also noticed that both pistons have play inside the cylinders, so that right there told me it's going to need boring to the next size with all new pistons and rings, along with top end bearings. Now I told myself that I needed to find out what was causing the engine to run that hot. A BIG problem with these Ski's is the stock oil-injection system (just like blasters, huh...). The pumps are known to fail and are very unreliable. So I proceeded to take the carburetors off to find the oil injection lines, and guess what I find? The line running to the carburetor with the blown cylinder is broken off, barely hanging on. That explains the blue sludgey oil sitting at the bottom of the hull, and most likely the blown cylinder. So that's where I am right now. I just picked this thing up last night, and I've been busy at work so I have had about 2 hours into this thing so far. Other than the engine issue, this thing is in great shape. The hull doesn't leak, all the electrical works, has spark on both plugs, etc etc. There's some decent scratches on the underside of the hull, but nothing severe. I may repair it later on, but it'll hold for now. It has an SMC hull, which means I cannot use fiberglass to repair it. I've been reading up on repairing SMC hulls and I need to pick up some special resin.